51 minutes ago
5 of my top supplements for anxiety and stress (that look like jelly beans). i understand there are a host of supplements for this category but these 5 top my list for general population purposes for the reasons below:
1) ashwagandha - its benefits for reducing stress come primarily from its ability to lower cortisol, our bodies major stress hormone. ashwagandha also inhibits the enzyme that break down acetylcholine (acetylcholinesterase) and may even help gaba (calming neurotransmitter) connect to its receptors more easily.
2) panax ginseng - ginseng boosts levels of gaba in the brain. in addition, it acts as a serotonin and norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitor, by which the combination exhibits anti-anxiety and anti-depressive effects.
3) lemon balm - like ashwagandha, lemon balm inhibits the breakdown of acetylcholine. however, its primary mechanism to reduce anxiety comes from its ability to inhibit the enzyme that breaks down gaba (gaba transaminase).
4) cbd - i love this one. cbd's anti-anxiety effects come from its ability to act on major serotonin receptors (5-ht1a, specifically). additionally, cbd does not directly act on primary cannabinoid receptors (cb1, cb2). however, it does indirectly activate them by preventing the breakdown of anandamide, the "bliss" neurotransmitter and part of the body's natural cannabinoids (which does activate cannabinoid receptors).
5) l- theanine - a superstar amongst cognitive supps. l-theanine raises levels of gaba, dopamine and serotonin in the brain (mainly gaba and dopamine).in addition, it also prevents too much glutamate from being released. thus, preventing toxicity from over-stimulation. furthermore, l-theanine boosts alpha (calming, alert relaxation, light meditation) and theta (creativity, deep meditation) brain waves.