It’s fritter time! 🥳 i tried these yesterday for the first time and they were so scrumptiously simple that i had to share them with you as soon as possible! 🧆 the original batch was just zucchini, potato, and onion, but i added the bell pepper and kale today and they turned out just as delightful! 🌱 feel free to try other veg, fresh herbs, or just stick to the basics- these fritters are very customisable! 😊
potato & zucchini fritters (makes 8-10 fritters)
2 smallish potatoes (approx. 150-175g total)
1 small onion
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup shredded kale
1/2 cup gluten-free flour (or regular)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp mixed herb blend
pepper to taste
1. rinse zucchini and grate into a mixing bowl. peel and grate potatoes and onion into the same bowl, then drain as much excess liquid as possible by pressing mixture into a fine sieve or straining through a cheesecloth or clean tea towel.
2. finely dice red bell pepper, chop or shred kale, and add both to the mixture.
3. add salt, pepper, garlic powder, herbs, and flour, and mix together until well incorporated.
4. roll mixture into balls and flatten into 2-3 inch patties. if the mixture is too wet and doesn’t hold together, add more flour a little at a time until it reaches a better patty-forming consistency.
5. fill a frying pan with vegetable oil at least 1/2-inch deep. cook fritters on medium to medium high (make sure oil is hot before adding the fritters to the pan or they will just absorb the oil) for about 3-4 minutes each side, turning once or twice until golden brown and crispy on both sides. if fritters are browning too quickly reduce heat a little.
6. once cooked, remove from pan, sprinkle with a little extra sea salt and allow to cool for a minute or two before digging in!
7. these fritters taste best when hot and crispy, so reheat leftovers in a non-stick pan- with or without a little oil- before eating.