On the eve of my 45th birthday, a few things i’ve learned along the way:
1. every day you’re alive is a gift. don’t waste it dwelling on the past or worrying about what may never happen.
2. life is like a supermarket. you can be present and get your shopping done based on what you know you currently need or you can think about what you didn’t buy before or waste a lot of time thinking about what you might possibly lack later. buy now.
3. everybody f*ks up. make amends when you do. nobody is obligated to forgive you no matter how much you want them to. apologize anyway.
4. not all friendships, relationships, family connections are forever. don’t force what is no longer there. learn from your loss and carry that lesson with you. without resentment.
5. cherish the people and the places that you love and who love you back. this photo was taken right before dinner with some of my all time favorite folks while back in nyc where i was born, lived most of my life, and married my spouse on the first day so-called “gay marriage” became legal. i look happy because i am.
6. everybody ages. you’re just not going to look the same forever. but man you will learn a lot and those wrinkles are proof and there’s some real power in that so don’t go fixing what ain’t broke.
7. be kind to others. you will save more lives than you could ever know.
8. be kind to you. eat well, get fresh air, sleep, love, take care of your body and your mind, speak gently with yourself.
9. no matter what others may have told you, you belong here. don’t leave because others have told you you don’t.
10. things really do get better. hurts you never thought would fade really do.
11. cling to nothing - neither the good nor the bad. it all ends. enjoy, learn, and keep going.
12. have dessert. it’s not going to k**l you.
#ptsd #trauma #anxiety #depression #panic #worry #fear #mentalhealth #aging #suicideawareness #chronicillness #spoonie #invisibleillness #eds #pots #dysautonomia #cancer #thisis45 #selfcare #ageisjustanumber #antibullying #healing #birthday #encouragerssociety #nostigma #chronicloveclub #themightysite #mindfulness #bekind