Lets talk about fillers!
they are such an important part of the coloring process, but so under used! why is that? .
anytime you are coloring previously lightened hair 2 or more levels darker, a filler should be used.
what is a filler?
a filler is replenishing the pigment lost when lifting the hair, specifically with lightener/bleach. in this photo you can see we stripped out all the copper/orange pigment (to a level 9 on the ends). that’s why she was able to be so blonde. there’s no orange! now that she wants to go darker, we need to put that orange back in! for this model i used 3/4oz 7g(gold) and 1/4 8c(copper) because copper tends to take over and i wanted her finish to look natural warm brown and not vibrant.
what happens if you don’t use a filler?
well, a couple things might happen.
1. your color can look hollow.
2. the color washes out fast!
3. it can look muddy
4. your dealing with porosity issues so it can also look blotchy!
here is her color breakdown:
using all @kenraprofessional
1. i foiled her hair with 8b and a ribbon of 7bc (no filler used on these sections because we are not coloring 2 levels darker, just toning)
2. i mixed up her filler formula and applied it to all her blonde left out of the foils. processed for 10 minutes. .
3. this is where it gets a little unconventional. i took 4 towels and wiped off the filler as much as possible trying to make sure it felt as dry as it could with out washing or drying. i did this to not disrupt the foils as i did not want to pick them out later. that’s too much work 😅
4. applied 6n/6bc 1:2 with 9vol from roots to ends and processed for 20 minutes. .
this whole process took me 2 1/2 hours and her color will hold a little longer than if i were to just slap the final color all over. you can see she still has dimension, it’s healthy and best of all, no ammonia was used in the process! .
share this with a friend who needs to learn more about fillers 👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼 it’s such an integral part of our service offerings. .
#modernsalon #licensedtocreate #kenra #kenracolor #colorcorrection #hairclass #haireducation #hairtutorial #blondetobrunette #mirellamanelli