Carrot cake muffins!! 🥕🥕 recipe by @vancouverwithlove
ingredients - for the muffins
• 1½ tbsp ground flaxseed, mixed with 4 tbsp water and set aside
• ¼ cup melted coconut oil
• ¼ cup coconut nectar/maple syrup/agave
•1 large apple, grated
•1¼ cup grated carrot
• ½ cup almond milk
• ¼ cup coconut sugar
• ½ tsp sea salt
• 2 tsp baking soda
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• 1¼ cup ground almonds
• 1 cup brown rice flour
• ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
• ⅓ cup raisins
for the frosting - optional (ensure all ingredients are chilled - they will curdle otherwise)
• 1 cup coconut cream (chill a can of high quality coconut milk in the fridge overnight -use only the hardened cream that separates from the liquid)
• ½ cup coconut yoghurt
• 3 tbsp coconut nectar/maple syrup/agave
• ¼ tsp vanilla essence
• ½ tsp lemon juice
- preheat the oven to 350°f/175°c and grease a 12-muffin tin with coconut oil.
- in a large bowl, whisk the flaxseed, coconut oil and coconut nectar.
- add the apple, grated carrot & almond milk and whisk again.
- add the coconut sugar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ground almonds and rice flour and stir until combined.
- gently fold in the walnuts and raisins.
- divide the mixture evenly between the muffin tins and bake for approximately 30-40 mins (until a knife comes out the centre of each muffin clean).
- leave the muffins in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool completely on a wire rack.
- to make the frosting, chill a large bowl in the freezer for 10 mins.
- using an electric whisk, beat the coconut cream in the chilled bowl until light and airy.
- gently add in the yoghurt, coconut nectar, vanilla & lemon juice, whilst continually whisking until the mixture is light and fluffy (3-5 mins total).
- refrigerate the frosting until ready for use, then use a spoon to add a dollop to each muffin.