6 minutes ago
Making dem tufted boards! swipe! i have been getting a few questions about how i made these beauties. so, thought i’d give a bit more detail.
no i have never upholstered anything in my life before! (but i’m not a complete spanner).
yes youtube was a helpful teacher.
i bought a button making kit on amazon and made matching buttons. (hack, if you do this, glue the button hammer in bit to a little piece of wood so you can literally hammer in the buttons, you’ll know what i mean. it saves your fingers!).
1. make a pattern! you want those buttons to be symmetrical!
2. cut the foam to size (you need one layer dense foam then wadding). spray glue it down. drill pilot holes in to the wood then wider ones in to the foam so the buttons sink!
3. put the wadding over the top of the drilled foam. do not drill through the wadding! that s**t will destroy your drill! and the wadding.
4. lay the material over and start the button sewing first. you need a staple gun! the buttons are pulled through individually and the string stapled down at the back.
5. staple the edges of the material to the back pulling nice and tight.
6. attach and enjoy being smug at how lush your tufts look!
7. all these instructions are nice but you know.... check out youtube 😛
you can do deep or shallow tufts, sup to you. i love these though. why did i do this? well i sleep on that side. i wanted something comfy there so i wasn’t facing cold metal! that and it creates a wicked day bed set up! we use that like the back of a couch and chill.
any questions? fire away! ❤️ @vanlifeideas @van.crush @vanlifediaries