Loading...
Guten Morgen und einen schönen Wochenstart euch allen!
37 245 9 hours ago
Guten morgen und einen schönen wochenstart euch allen!
Th U 2 belonged to the German submarines of the type 205, the first successful submarines built by the Federal Republic of Germany. They were ordered in 1960 and the last was was decommissioned in 2005. A total of 13 submarines were built. Two of them were made in Denmark for the Royal Danish Navy, where the were called the Narhvalen class. Originally, the U 1, U 2 and U 3 were submarines of the Type 201. The non-magnetic steel of those submarines proved not to be apt for duty. For this reason they were retired, and the names U 1 and U 2 were given to new submarines of the type 205.
This were small u-boats made for the duty in the swallow waters of the Baltic Sea. In case of an attack from the forces of the Warsaw Pact in the context of the Cold War, the type 205 would have the duty of stopping the landing cafts before they reached the German coasts. In the 1970 Germany commissioned the submarines of the type 206. Their design was an improvement of the 205. Most specially, the developpers had managed to solve the problems of the type 201 and could finally build submarines with non-magnetic steel.
This model in a scale of 1:50 is part of our exhibition on the history of subacuatic warfare on deck 5 of the museum.
20 1,283 Yesterday
Th u 2 belonged to the german submarines of the type 205, the first successful submarines built by the federal republic of germany. they were ordered in 1960 and the last was was decommissioned in 2005. a total of 13 submarines were built. two of them were made in denmark for the royal danish navy, where the were called the narhvalen class. originally, the u 1, u 2 and u 3 were submarines of the type 201. the non-magnetic steel of those submarines proved not to be apt for duty. for this reason they were retired, and the names u 1 and u 2 were given to new submarines of the type 205.
this were small u-boats made for the duty in the swallow waters of the baltic sea. in case of an attack from the forces of the warsaw pact in the context of the cold war, the type 205 would have the duty of stopping the landing cafts before they reached the german coasts. in the 1970 germany commissioned the submarines of the type 206. their design was an improvement of the 205. most specially, the developpers had managed to solve the problems of the type 201 and could finally build submarines with non-magnetic steel.
this model in a scale of 1:50 is part of our exhibition on the history of subacuatic warfare on deck 5 of the museum.
The steamboat Sabino was built in East Boothbay, Maine USA, in 1908. Her original name was Tourist. She kept it until 1922.in her long career she was widened to give her more capacity and stability but two things never changed: her duty as a passengers ferry and her coal-fueled two-cylinder Paine compound steam egine. Actually, she is still on duty during the summer months at the @mysticseaportmuseum (to which we send greetings from the other side of the ocean!). The Sabino was purchased by the museum in 1974 and was designated as a US National Historic Landmark in 1992. She is the oldest wooden, coal-fueled steamboat still in duty in the USA.
This little model in a scale of 1:75 is part of our permanent exhibition on deck 9.
43 1,533 6 days ago
The steamboat sabino was built in east boothbay, maine usa, in 1908. her original name was tourist. she kept it until 1922.in her long career she was widened to give her more capacity and stability but two things never changed: her duty as a passengers ferry and her coal-fueled two-cylinder paine compound steam egine. actually, she is still on duty during the summer months at the @mysticseaportmuseum (to which we send greetings from the other side of the ocean!). the sabino was purchased by the museum in 1974 and was designated as a us national historic landmark in 1992. she is the oldest wooden, coal-fueled steamboat still in duty in the usa.
this little model in a scale of 1:75 is part of our permanent exhibition on deck 9.
The British  merchant steamer Caledonian Monarch was built in 1928 at the shipyard of Napier & Miller Ltd, Old Kilpatrick, Glasgow, Scotland. The ship was on duty for the Monarch Steamship Co. Ltd., also from Glasgow. She belongs most certainly to the many merchant ships lost to U-boat warfare in World War II. The Caledonian Monarch took part on the convoy SC-63 in January 1942. The SC convoys were crossing the North Atlantic from America to mostly Liverpool, loaded with wares to support the war effort in Europe. The SC-63 set eastbound on the 7th of January 1942 and got cough in extreme bad weather short thereafter. The Caledonian Monarch was lost in the weather and finally declared lost on the 14th of January. The ship and crew were never heard of again. The most probable destiny for the ship is that she got torpedoed by the German Submarine U-588 on the morning of the 22nd of January, North of the British Isles. The U-boat reposted sinking a 6000 tones merchant ship, whose description fits the Caledonian Monarch perfectly. A total of 48 men were lost with the ship.
This 1:100 scale model is part of our exhibition on the history of modern maritime logistics on deck 6 of the museum.
31 1,264 23 hours ago
The british merchant steamer caledonian monarch was built in 1928 at the shipyard of napier & miller ltd, old kilpatrick, glasgow, scotland. the ship was on duty for the monarch steamship co. ltd., also from glasgow. she belongs most certainly to the many merchant ships lost to u-boat warfare in world war ii. the caledonian monarch took part on the convoy sc-63 in january 1942. the sc convoys were crossing the north atlantic from america to mostly liverpool, loaded with wares to support the war effort in europe. the sc-63 set eastbound on the 7th of january 1942 and got cough in extreme bad weather short thereafter. the caledonian monarch was lost in the weather and finally declared lost on the 14th of january. the ship and crew were never heard of again. the most probable destiny for the ship is that she got torpedoed by the german submarine u-588 on the morning of the 22nd of january, north of the british isles. the u-boat reposted sinking a 6000 tones merchant ship, whose description fits the caledonian monarch perfectly. a total of 48 men were lost with the ship.
this 1:100 scale model is part of our exhibition on the history of modern maritime logistics on deck 6 of the museum.
With this picture of our home, the Kaispeicher B - oldest still existing warehouse of the Port of Hamburg - and the spare propeller of the tanker ship Maaskerk (1975) we would like to whish all our fiends around the world happy Holidays!
The museum will be closed on the 6th and 7th of December because of an event. We will also be closed on the 24th and the 31st of December. Apart from that, we are open every day of the season. This includes the 25th of December and the 1st of January!
By the way, the 6x6 meters large propeller was a kind donation made to our foundation by @wartsilacorp in 2012.
39 1,930 2 weeks ago
With this picture of our home, the kaispeicher b - oldest still existing warehouse of the port of hamburg - and the spare propeller of the tanker ship maaskerk (1975) we would like to whish all our fiends around the world happy holidays!
the museum will be closed on the 6th and 7th of december because of an event. we will also be closed on the 24th and the 31st of december. apart from that, we are open every day of the season. this includes the 25th of december and the 1st of january!
by the way, the 6x6 meters large propeller was a kind donation made to our foundation by @wartsilacorp in 2012.
The Bussard was a seaplane carrier built in Pillau (today's Baltijsk) in 1940. She was not under the command of the Navy of Nazi Germany, but of its airforce, the Luftwaffe. The Treaty of Versailles after World War I had imposed a prohibition of owning and developing naval aircrafts. A secret plan to do so had been put in motion already during the 1920s. The Luftwaffe was founded as such in 1935 and most naval aircrafts felt under her command. The Bussard was the second of three aircraft-propulsion ships built by the Luftwaffe as a base and catapult for planes at sea. Their duty was mostly scouting and recognition. The Bussard had the capacity to carry 3 aircraft of up to 20 tons. Her catapult had been developed and built by the company of Ernst Heinkel and could send an aircraft to a speed of 180 km/h in 2,5 seconds.
The Bussard started her duty in 1942. After a short service in Denmark she sepnd most of the war in several spots of the coast of Norway. At the end of the war she was captured by the British but ended up going to the US Navy as war reparations. The Americans sold her already in 1947 to a Belgian company. She was sold again to a Dutch company in 1950 and was modified to serve as a dredger in the Port of Rotterdam. Her further existante is unclear to us.
This magnificent model in a scale of 1:100 was the work oh Helmut Schimd and our founder, Prof. Peter Tamm. It is on display in our exhibit à out the history of naval aircrafts, on deck 5 of the museum.
49 2,244 2 weeks ago
The bussard was a seaplane carrier built in pillau (today's baltijsk) in 1940. she was not under the command of the navy of n**i germany, but of its airforce, the luftwaffe. the treaty of versailles after world war i had imposed a prohibition of owning and developing naval aircrafts. a secret plan to do so had been put in motion already during the 1920s. the luftwaffe was founded as such in 1935 and most naval aircrafts felt under her command. the bussard was the second of three aircraft-propulsion ships built by the luftwaffe as a base and catapult for planes at sea. their duty was mostly scouting and recognition. the bussard had the capacity to carry 3 aircraft of up to 20 tons. her catapult had been developed and built by the company of ernst heinkel and could send an aircraft to a speed of 180 km/h in 2,5 seconds.
the bussard started her duty in 1942. after a short service in denmark she sepnd most of the war in several spots of the coast of norway. at the end of the war she was captured by the british but ended up going to the us navy as war reparations. the americans sold her already in 1947 to a belgian company. she was sold again to a dutch company in 1950 and was modified to serve as a dredger in the port of rotterdam. her further existante is unclear to us.
this magnificent model in a scale of 1:100 was the work oh helmut schimd and our founder, prof. peter tamm. it is on display in our exhibit à out the history of naval aircrafts, on deck 5 of the museum.